DIY: Freezer organization

This may be the simplest DIY that I ever post, but it's one of those things that when it's done you think, why didn't I do this sooner?  So I thought I'd share.

Let's talk freezer organization.

We have a small chest freezer that resides in our basement.  It's the perfect size for the two of us, but I often find that I have to dig & dig & dig to find what I'm looking for.  And, I end up buying duplicates of something already in the freezer, because I didn't realize we already had it.

These are the foods that we always have in our downstairs freezer: a variety of meats, fish, shredded cheese, homemade pasta sauce, homemade strawberry jam, & garlic bread.

Since it's cheaper to buy meats in bulk, we generally do, and then put them in portion-sized freezer bags with the help of our FoodSavor -- this is a must have kitchen gadget, in my book.

In an effort to alleviate the pile-up/completely unorganized frozen goods mess in our freezer, we simply purchased 4 inexpensive plastic storage containers.






























We then separated our meats by box:  Beef, Pork, Venison, Fish/Wild Game (my husband is an avid hunter & fisherman, so yeah -- that explains the venison & wild game).  Homemade pasta sauce, homemade strawberry jam, & garlic bread get their own space on the freezer ledge.  Chicken & shredded cheeses get their own space in the built-in basket.


Viola!

Such a super easy DIY that is a complete no brainier, but will certainly make our lives easier.  I would encourage everyone to take the 10 minutes it takes to organize their freezer.  It will save you time, money, & headaches in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment