For the Love of the Hunt...

September 12, 2015 – season opener for bowhunting.  I knew the date well, as Zac had been preparing for it for months. 

In fact, for about the last 6 months, there wasn’t a day that passed in which I didn’t hear about bowhunting – what he saw on camera, what his friends/family had on camera, where he was gonna sit, where he was going to put up a new stand, that he needs a new bow, archery practice, washing clothes in scent lock gear, etc. etc. etc.

Hunter












Hunter

Hunter

And I’ve decided this year, that I was going to try my hardest not to get upset that my husband would rather spend more time in the woods than with me.  Because it's for the love of the hunt.

I told myself I wouldn’t care that our whole house has become consumed with all things hunting:  USB cards for trail cameras, scattered everywhere -- in the bedroom, in the office, in the kitchen, heck – I’ve even found them in the bathroom!  And hunting magazines galore – good Lord the hunting magazines.  HOW MANY DOES ONE PERSON REALLY NEED? And all the gear... spread across our kitchen table, laying in the basement, consuming his truck... it's everywhere.

Hunter
Buck; While Tail
In the woodsSo I'd like to say that this year, this year I’ve embraced hunting season.  I've even actually spent quite a few evenings sitting in a tree with Zac.  And I get it -- it's relaxing (until it becomes boring).   But try as I might, I just don't have the love of the hunt....

deer












chipmunk














































To date, Zac has spent almost every evening since September, and most weekend mornings, in the woods.

Sitting. Waiting. Wishing... Praying for that "big buck" to venture across his shooting lane.

hunting











bowhunter













































But here’s the thing.  If I’ve learned anything over years with my hunting obsessed husband, it's that hunting is equal parts time, talent, money, & a whole lot of luck.

It's all about being in the right place, at the right time.  Hmmm, isn't that life in general, too?


sunburst












rabbit













tree












sunset in the woods











































































So far, it's been no luck for Zac... he's seen lots of deer, but none of them are shooters... yet.

And it doesn't even matter to him, because he'll sit again tonight & tomorrow night, and again the morning after...
Because, it’s for the love of the hunt.

I only wish I had a hobby that I was so passionate about...

Good luck, babe!  I think this is your year!

3 comments:

  1. I'll get you hooked on stamping in a few weeks, then you'll have a hobby to keep you busy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love sharing this passion with him! Something special about this time of year, awesome post Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had to LOL. i understand!!! haha

    ReplyDelete