Make: Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Now that the weather is turning colder, I’m in the mood for home-cooked meals & cozy evenings.

Which means, hello soup season!

creamy chicken and wild rice soup

Isn’t fall the quintessential time to enjoy all things soup?  Chili, chicken noodle, creamy broccoli… give me all the soups!

To ring in fall, I made my first batch of creamy chicken & wild rice soup the other night, and it hit the spot, so I thought I’d share my recipe.

creamy chicken and wild rice soup












My recipe inspiration stems from The Double Dipped Life -- though I have quite a few variations to her original recipe.

To make my version, you'll need:

½ c. butter
1 chopped onion
1 t. minced garlic
1 c. frozen corn
2 c. frozen shredded zucchini
1 c. sliced carrots
¾ c. flour
8 c. chicken broth
2 boxes uncooked Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice without the seasoning packets
Shredded chicken, from a rotisserie chicken – about 1 lb of chicken
1 t. salt
1 t. curry powder
1 t. mustard powder
1 t. dried parsley
1 t. black pepper – more, if you’re my husband
2 c. half and half

I do want to note, my soup is thick – so more chicken broth can be added if you like your soup more soupy :)

Melt the butter in a stockpot.  Stir in onion, garlic, corn, zucchini, & carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes.  Add the flour & stir well. Over medium heat, add chicken & then the chicken broth, stirring consistently.  Bring mixture to a boil & then reduce the heat to low & let it simmer.

Add the rice, salt, curry powder, mustard powder, dried parsley, & black pepper.  Stir well, then add the half & half, stirring as you pour.  Let the soup simmer on low heat for 1-2 hours being careful that it does not boil, and stir occasionally.

creamy chicken and wild rice soup

This soup also freezes well – we like to freeze our leftovers in portion sized contains & take them for lunch.

creamy chicken and wild rice soup



























I’d love to know, what soups are your go-to for the colder months?


Linking up at:
Elizabeth & Co | Adventure of Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment