Travel: Rome, Italy {Day 2}

To read about our first day in Rome, click here.

Day 2 in Rome was dedicated to visiting all the usual touristy sights, and let me tell you, Rome houses some pretty amazing attractions.   My pictures don't even begin to do these sights justice.

Let's start off where we spent the first half of our day, in Vatican City...

Vatican City.
Did you know that Vatican City is it's own city state?  Yep, it's plunked right in the middle of Rome, but is it's own country with a population of less than 900 people.  It's ruled by the Pope & is the smallest internationally recognized independent state.  It lies to the left of us in the below photo, behind that wall.

Rome; Vatican City | My Darling Days
Here's us -- all geared up & ready for our tours
There are no words, pictures or videos I can show to you that will give you the slightest feeling of what we felt & saw while in Vatican City.  These pictures DO NOT do this magical place an ounce of  justice. It's truly something that you need to experience for yourself.

Within the city are these historical sites that we visited: Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museums, & St. Peter's Basilica.

Sistine Chapel.
No photography or videography is allowed inside of the chapel, so I can't share with you what I saw, but pictures & videos wouldn't compare anyway.  Upon entering the chapel, I immediately got goosebumps; others even got tears in their eyes.   The Sistine Chapel is unlike anything I've ever experienced before, mostly thanks to the amazing talents of Michelangelo.  The painted ceilings at the Sistine Chapel attract nearly 5 million tourists every year; they stand in silence & awe, as they admire the detailed artwork & workmanship.  It really is incredible!  Just knowing that you are standing in the very room where Michelangelo once stood (in the 1500's!!) and where the Popes are elected... it's a feeling I can't describe.


Vatican Museums.
Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days

Filled with artifacts, sculptures, mosaics, paintings, & tapestries that are so beautiful & detailed, you can't believe the talent.  Here's a sampling of what you'll find throughout the museums:

Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days



Do you recognize these guys... from your art history days in college? ;)

Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days

Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days

Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days



Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days

Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days

The ceilings are so amazing, you'll be looking up the whole time...

Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days

Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days


Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days

Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days

Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days



Tapestries with so much fine detail, you'd think they were paintings...

Rome; Vatican Museums | My Darling Days



St. Peter's Basilica & St. Peter's Square.
A massive church of beauty (one of the two largest churches in the world), filled with sculptures & mosaics, and is the burial site of St. Peter himself -- is completely breath-taking!  It's also considered one of the holiest Catholic tributes.

Click here for a neat virtual tour -- it will put everything in perspective.

Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days



Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days




Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days



Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days

Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days


Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days

Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days

Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days

Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days





Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days

Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days




Looking out, onto St. Peter's Square...

Rome; St. Peter's Square | My Darling Days

Rome; St. Peter's Square | My Darling Days

Rome; St. Peter's Square | My Darling Days

Rome; St. Peter's Square | My Darling Days

The famed bronze gilded Holy Door -- the northern most door in the Basilica, that according to tradition, is only opened for great celebrations, such as the Jubilee years (aka, it's kind of a big deal... they are currently opened as Pope Francis has declared this year as the Holy Year of Mercy).

Rome; St. Peter's Basilica | My Darling Days

What an amazing experience!

Rome; St. Peter's Square | My Darling Days

Phew!  That was a long post -- I could have shared hundreds of more photos, but these are just the highlights.
I hope you enjoyed that slice of Vatican City I was able to share -- if you have any questions, please leave them in the comment section below & I will try my best to answer them! 


Tips:
*Visit Vatican City with a group tour (that makes a reservation) or pre-purchase your ticket online, otherwise you will waste an entire day of your trip waiting in line, just to get in.  I'm not kidding.

*Visit the Vatican gift store & purchase a (real) rosary made with flower petals, which can be blessed by a priest in St. Peter's Basilica.  It will be a wonderful keepsake & makes an excellent gift!

*Plan to wear garments that cover your shoulders & knees while in Vatican City.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! The pictures are beautiful! I am a Catholic and I have always dreamt of visiting the Vatican but traveling there is just too expensive for me right now....maybe in the distant future perhaps. I will go back to take your virtual tour later, I have only five minutes left of my break and then I have to go back to teaching the kids. By the way, what camera did you use to take the pics? Did you use special lens? I can't imagine using my Canon and getting same details you were able to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,

      Thanks for stopping by! I used a Nikon D7100 with an 18-200MM lens. I love my camera body, but that is definitely NOT my favorite lens (I'd much prefer a 50 or 35MM prime lens). But since we were traveling I didn't have the luxury of carting around all my favorite lens, so for ease of use, I mostly shot with that for our entire trip.

      I hope you get to visit Vatican City someday, it's definitely worth it :)

      Delete
  2. thanks for allowing us to travel vicariously with you! enjoy the rest of your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for allowing us to travel vicariously with you! enjoy the rest of your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete