Easter Traditions and My First Mom Fail...

While Zac & I were trying to get pregnant, I had all these dreams and hopes and desires and feelings of, "I can't wait until we have kids so that we can start _____________ tradition."  I had kept a mental list in my head about all the fun traditions I wanted to pass on to my children someday, and even had a few new ideas to incorporate for each holiday. (I'm kind of big on traditions & nostalgia, remember this post about Christmas?)

Last weekend was Easter, and Ellis' first holiday that he got to celebrate...  And I failed as a mom to make it special for him.

You see, aside from being a very important day in our Christian lives, my parents always made Easter Sunday extra special for us.  The Easter Bunny would hide eggs filled with coins all over the living room, and he'd hide our baskets so good, that we had to play 'hot or cold" to find them.  The baskets always contained lots of goodies, including our favorite candy, and a big Seroogy's fudge egg.   We always wore new Easter dresses to church, with matching gloves, and click-clack shoes (shoes with a heel that made noise on the pavement).  I looked forward to Easter almost as much as Christmas.

As we got older, Zac & I both have families who pretty much adhere to the same old traditions as years past.  Even at 29 & 31 years old, our parents still make Easter special for us.  We still color eggs, we still get Easter baskets, and we still participate in egg hunts.

Well, this year was Ellis' first Easter, and I didn't even get him a basket.  I didn't buy a special outfit (which in hindsight might have been OK -- he had a major blow out in Church and we had to change his outfit anyways).  But, I didn't hide eggs, I didn't purchase a fudge egg from Seroogy's, and I didn't take a single photo all weekend, except the one below on Easter morning.  And that basket he's sitting in?  It's from my thoughtful mom, and she of course had it filled with goodies for Ellis.

Easter 2017 | My Darling Days

Now, I'm fully aware that Ellis will not remember his first Easter, or the special things I did or did not do for him.  And, he certainly cannot eat a Seroogy's fudge egg at 8 weeks old.  However looking back, I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me that I didn't make much of an effort to make his first Holiday more special.

I could blame it on being 8 weeks postpartum.  I could blame it on a lack of sleep, and being in the "newborn fog".  I could blame it on the fact that our weekend was so jam packed with festivities, that we were hardly home at all.  But really, it's on me.

Now I know that Easter isn't about coloring eggs, baskets filled with stuff, or egg hunts.  It's about our Savior who died for our sins -- which is something I WILL be sure to teach Ellis once he's older.

I am happy to report though, that we did find time to color Easter eggs as a family, and I even documented it, so that even if little Ellis doesn't remember, he can see...  His mom didn't fail completely.

Easter 2017 | My Darling Days

Easter 2017 | My Darling Days

Easter 2017 | My Darling Days

Easter 2017 | My Darling Days

Easter 2017 | My Darling Days

Easter 2017 | My Darling Days

Happy Easter to you -- I hope your day was filled with the love of Christ, family and friends... any maybe even a Serology's fudge egg ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment